Tuesday, March 14

I will never blog about Pat Boone Again


Why? Well, here are a few things from All Music reviews:

"To his credit, Boone was somehow able to extricate any sense of sexuality or danger from rock and roll - no mean feat."

"It doesn't include his hit covers of 'At My Front Door' and Little Richards 'Long Tall Sally' and 'Tutti Frutti,' which is perhaps just as well for all concerned."

AllMusic folk are wrong about a lot of things, but they are spot on about this one. However, I actually really like this one song called Moody River. It's a suicide tale set to a Sam Cooke ish piano rhythm thing. "Moody river your muddy water, took my baby's life." So, Pat wanders off into the woods to meet his lover at the oak tree by the river. Instead he finds a glove with a note on it.

"On the ground, your glove I found with a note addressed to me. It read dear Love, I've done you wrong and now I must set you free. No longer can I live with this hurt and sin. I just couldn't tell you that guy was just a friend."

Moody River, more deadly than the vainest knife. Moody River, your muddy waters...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever heard his album "no more mr. nice guy"? he covers heavy metal and stuff like "enter sandman" and classics like "smoke on the water." man, is it creepy. shortly after, he was fired from his gospel show-- i can't remember if it was tv or radio. them christian folk don't like a leather-clad pat boone.

Lazy Toe said...

Oh my god, the picture for that album is ridiculous. Eeeewwww.