Friday, March 25

Hmmm, Salon, MJ(?), and Political Panderers

Hey! What happened to MJ? Poor guy. Everyone is paying attention to Ms. Shiavo these days. He tried his best to keep our attention by not showing up, coming to court in PJs, and crying on the stand, but it just didn't work. It's old news. Sort of like his music. Oh well, that trial seemed pretty bogus in the first place.

Salon, Salon, Salon...

Salon's War Room posted some interesting things today. They lifted a story from the Daily Howler and didn't do a very good job of it.
  • This Daily Howler article about the Schiavo 'Nobel Candidate' was posted three days ago.
  • Also, the Howler makes a good point about the two Americas. Read on.

    Salon's War Room also tried to tie in Schiavo, The Religious Right, and Stem Cell Research. And even though I might be in danger of getting my lefty politik card revoked, I have to say that I'm not big fan of stem cell research. I hated the fact that it was a big election year issue and I hated the way Democrats got all righteous and in our face about it. I don't think we need to restrict it (Bush doesn't want new lines to be created), but I don't think it needs to be a national endeavor. We don't need to pour trillions of dollars in it when there are plenty of other things that need a fixin. A country of limited resources and limited ATTENTION SPAN does not need to spend our time and money focusing on something that may or may not produce significant results. Anyone remember the big push to map the human genome? Wasn't that supposed to cure everything? Same arguments are used for Stem Cell. It will save us. It will be the solution for everything. Just buy into this... Same tactic used by Bushco (Private accounts! Easy Money! Alaskan Oil! Problem Solved!), just a different setting and not as evil.

    Hey, I'm not opposed to scientific research (except for Human Cloning), but I just don't see what stem cell research will do for the millions of Americans who can't afford basic healthcare? And yea, maybe that isn't a valid argument (one could say that we should be doing both), but I'd just like to see our leaders focus on something real for once.

    So, I've decided that I'm going to keep a list of politicians who will not get my vote due to silly pandering to the public. When I get more time, that list will be published to the right side of this page. John McCain just made that list (see the last few days of archived posts at the Daily Howler). I have a feeling a bunch I'll be checking off a lot of Gs and Ls next time I cast a ballot.

    Okay time to get this freakin’ weekend started.

    No comments: