Wednesday, March 16

New Stuff! Plus, The Blues and Andrew Bird

Holy smokes, I finally updated my blog.

New Stuff

2005 Concerts - on the right
New tag line for the blog. 100% lifted from a Magnetic Fields song.

Old Stuff
Still getting into trouble
Still disappointed by my politicians (but good try today, Senator Cantwell)
Still trying to avoid coverage of the MJ trial
Still spending too much money on music

The Blues and Andrew Bird

Purchased a Charlie Patton cd the other day and was completely shocked when "Some of These Days" came blaring through my speakers. I first heard this amazing song on Andrew Bird's first record and instantaneously fell in love with it. My love only grows now that I get to listen to the original. This isn't the first time Ol' Andrew Bird has busted out some bluesy numbers. He covers a Mississippi Sheiks' song on his Swimming Hour cd and appropriates some of their lyrics for a great song on his new album. "She got blood...in her eyes for you." From Fake Palindromes

Unfortunately I've purchased more than a few Andrew Bird albums on iTunes and haven't been able to examine the liner notes. Just the drawbacks of cheap music, I guess. Actually, it's really kind of bothering me now that I think about it. I like knowing about artists' incestual relationships. Andrew Bird played on a Neko Case album. Neko Case played a significant role in the last Band of Blacky Ranchette album (a Howe Gelb project). I first saw and heard Howe Gelb and Andrew Bird at an amazing concert at the Tractor Tavern (thanks, Josh). Andrew Bird covers Mississippi Sheiks' songs, which is a band that I might not have heard of if I hadn't read the amazing liner notes of the Dylan album titled "World Gone Wrong," which is also the title track of the album, and a song by the Mississippi Sheiks. I could go on, but I'm a bit tired. In the meantime, I'll dream of The Blues and epic songs lamenting the disappearing art of album covers and liner notes. In Bluesy E.

E G A A# B D

No comments: