Sunday, October 10

Where you been is good and gone...

Grrr, I'm working. On a Sunday. Booo.

Shit, it's been busy 'round here. School started on the 29th so last week was the first full week of class. The weather was perfect on the first few days of school and it reminded me of my first day of school this campus. For some reason I woke up extra early (definitely not a trademark of mine...), hung out on the back deck of Hagget Hall, and watched the sun rise. I sat there with filled with anxiety and hope for the future. That was six years ago. And it's been a weird and strange and amazing six years. And maybe it's because I'm celebrating my 6th year at my school/job (same place) or my 25th year of existence or maybe it's because I've been going to a bunch of weddings or maybe it's just the color of the sun cut flat, but I've been thinking a lot about the people that made the last six years what it was. The people who have been around from what feels like the beginning (the tangos, roses, bartletts, carmens, wendys), the people who wandered in, affected my life, and departed in one way or another (the Neils, Bens, Tahns, Joshuas, Siris, Kellys, Andrews, Jesses, Caseys, Felcias) and the people who came out of nowhere and continue to impact my life (the Emmas, Espys, Taras, John Bs, Kates, Matthews, Shawns, Karens,) and everyone else who'll kick me in the stomach for forgetting about them. There is no way I could've guessed what was going to happen as I sat there watching that sun rise on a new day. I just ruminated for a while before trotting off to meet a friend for breakfast. Life rolls on, but here's to all y'all who've been a part of it.

"Where you been is good and gone all you keep is the getting there."

Music getting heavy rotation:
Magnetic Fields - Charm of the Highway Strip
Ryan Adams and Gillian Welch - Live at the Exit In Nashville (recorded in Y2K)
Every Andrew Bird cd I have
Some other things that I referenced in this post. Any trainspotters out there?

No comments: