Tuesday, October 12

Fear and Singing in Seattle (Daniel Johnston, you will be mine!)

Ohhhhh, just picked up the new Tom Waits cd (how could I not after I gushed all over that song...) and a Daniel Johnston cd called "Early Recordings Vol. 1 - Songs of Pain and More Songs of Pain." It's a double disc. This Daniel Johnston guy is super interesting and this whole cd is a super low budget-y piano boom box affair from the early 80s. I'm not ready to declare him a genius quite yet (unlike all the other hipsters), but the more music I listen to, the closer I get to making that declaration.

A tribute album came out recently, featuring bands like Beck, Bright Eyes, Teenage Fanclub, Calvin Johnson (I heart Beat Happening!), Clem Snide, Tom Waits, M Ward (who, I think, is playing with Bright Eyes this Monday...) and many others. I would have purchased the tribute album too, but stupid chain stores always have crappy selections. I was suprised to find the album that I did. Guess I'll have to make my way to a Sonic Boom. Maybe I just need to move to Capitol Hill. Or Ballard.

Initial reaction to the Waits cd will come soon. Must digest Songs of Pain though.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

I love Daniel Johnston. His track on School House Rocks Rocks! is one of the poppiest gems every set to tape.

But considering his metal issues, "genious" artist is such an ironic, yet fitting title.

emjaro said...

Capitol Hill is calling your name!

Lazy Toe said...

It's calling more than my name...

Lazy Toe said...

Oh and yes, his music is very poppy, but it's very stripped down. At least what I've heard. But yea, a lot of it really bluesy and poppy. I'm getting quite excited about digging through his catalog of music.

Shawn said...

Hmm. I meant mental issues. Metal issues is a TOTALLY different thing.

emjaro said...

Is it calling your number? Like at the deli line?