Monday, June 21

Live Forever!

Watched a few documentaries on Sunday morn. One of them being "Live Forever: The Rise and Fall of Britpop in the 90s." It featured 3 bands that I absolutely adored during high school - Oasis, Pulp, Blur.

The documentary is a funny piece of work, but incomplete at best. The best parts are the interviews with band members (Damon Alburn, Jarvis Cocker, Gallagher brothers, etc) and the music video clips that were rarely shown in the US of A. My mom's comments (from the sideline - preparing BBQ) were "Someone needs to wash that man's mouth out," referring to Noel G., and "Ohhh, he was a handsome one," referring to pretty boy Damon in early Blur videos.

Of all those folk, I think I mostly identified with ol' Jarvis Cocker, the odd one. And of all the groups, their music (that was popular at the time) have held up best. Actually, I'm blaring "Common People" all across the office today. I guess I should be proud to join this fine group of folk.

I have distinct memories of running all around London with Pulp blaring in my headphones. Taking the Night Buses (aka, Drunk Buses) home at 3am listening to "I Spy."

"I've got your number, taken notes, I know the ways your minds work. I have studied. And your minds are just the same as mine except that you are clever swines: you never let mask slip, you never admit to it, you're never hurried. Oh no no no. And every night I hone my plan - how I will get my satisfaction, how I will blow your paradise away....La la la la la la la la la la, in the midnight hour. La la la la la la la la la la, I will come to you, I will come to you. I will take you from this sickness, dinner parties and champagne. I'll hold your body and make it sing again. Come on - sing again, let's sing again. Oh yeah. 'Cos I spy. I spy a boy. I spy a girl. I spy the chance to change the world. To change your world."

No comments: