Wednesday, May 10

Let Me Introduce You to This Shady Cast of Characters

Shins plus McDonalds. I thought I heard about that on a NPR interview a long time ago and whenever I'd compare the shins to michael bolton I'd make sure to tell folks that. No one ever believed me and I never saw the commercial so i started wondering if it was true myself. POPO ZAO suckers! Not like this should change anyone's mind about the music though. That Dylan/Victoria's Secret commercial was amazing. "I'm sick of love! I wish I never met you." And I definitely dug the car commercial with Nick Drake. It was brilliant.

The other day my brother confused me by putting some R Kelley in the cd player. There is a song on the album called "You Remind Me Of My Jeep." R Kelley says it like it's the biggest compliment in the world. "You remind me of my jeep. I want to get inside you. You remind me of my jeep, I want to bump you like my speakers" and so on and so forth etc etc until "and I just want to tell you..." long pause, music building ".......YOU REMIND ME OF MY JEEP!" My brother assured me that this was a big hit in it's day and I was utterly confused. I mean, this song was the literally the soundtrack to a million memories. It's too much to think about.

Alas, alas, another one of my favorite musicians put out a not so great album. I can now add Jolie Holland to my list that includes The Gourds, Bright Eyes, Devendra Banhart, Neko Case (maybe..not too drawn to the new album), Wilco, Ryan Adams (really more like 10 mediocre albums) and probably a much longer list if I think about it. I'm always saddest when super talented folks put out albums that are don't do anything for me. Okay, shouldn't rag on Jolie Holland's new album too much, because there are a few outstanding songs and a few fascinating song. It just seems like there are too many parts that drag. What I want to know is who is that guy singing on You're Not Satisfied? He sounds a sleazy and tired and awesome.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

It's David Dondero. He looks a little like if you and Scott Taylor had a kid.

http://www.groundcontroltouring.com/CAT/daviddondero/gallery/promo/A27202_1_6_44.jpg

Lazy Toe said...

Hey, I'm having trouble sleeping already. Thanks for the alternaworld freaky scenerio.

I've been loving up on a few of that guy's songs recently. "The One That Fell From the Vine," "South of the South" and "Shouldn't Leave A Lover Alone Too Long" are all pretty dam good. Download it at team-love.com (as opposed to teamlove.com, which is a whole different kind of love). I'm a sucker for those literate singer dudes.

Why am I pimping this at 2am? Don't Know. But the big ol' moon is shining through my west seattle window.